By: Galilea Oregon
Ever since all ten seasons of Friends were added on Netflix, I’ve been shamelessly binge watching. With every passing episode, I fall in love more and more with the styles of protagonists Monica, Rachel and Phoebe. From Phoebe’s bohemian skirts and dresses to Monica’s classic mom jean and t-shirt combos, every outfit that shows up on the screen makes me want to time travel back to the ’90s in Manhattan just so I could rock their ‘fits. Although emulating the nineties style is currently trending, it can be hard to draw the line between looking edgy and looking like your mom. Here are some fashion do’s and dont’s to dressing like your favorite 90’s girl gang.
Phoebe Buffay: The Bohemian Babe
Phoebe’s style can easily be described as witchy bohemian with her long skirts paired with quirky oversized sweaters and layered jewelry. Pulling off the bohemian look without looking messy can be tricky, but with the right layering and juxtaposition, your look will look effortlessly breezy, just like Phoebe.
- Mix different colors, fabrics, and textures
- Keep your silhouettes simple (no drapes, frills, pleats)
- Layer jewelry.
- Make sure your shoes are uniform in color. Your shoes are your outfit’s ANCHOR and they keep your whole look grounded.
- Pile layers onto layers.
- Layer loose tops over loose bottoms
- Mix different patterns. It can be risky and you could end up looking like a circus clown
My Take on Phoebe’s Style:
Monica Geller: The Classic Tomboy
Monica’s uptight and motherly personality is countered by her laid back and nonchalant wardrobe. Put on your favorite jeans, a white t-shirt, and top it off with your dad’s baseball cap, and you’re good to go.
- Go basic with neutral tones.
- Look in the men’s aisle. Men’s sweatshirts always add a cozy feeling for chilly winters.
- Wear white sneakers. Models such as the Adidas Superstars and Nike Air Force add the perfect tomboy edginess to play down your whole look.
- Accessorize with baseball caps. They’re quick and easy solutions for bad hair days.
- Be lazy with your outfits. There’s a difference between lazy and laid back.
- Forget to incorporate your personality into your look. The simplicity allows you play around colors and even your hairstyle.
My Take on Monica’s Style:
Rachel Greene: The Preppy Girly- Girl
Rachel is the “girly-girl” of the group. In almost of every episode of Friends Rachel is seen sporting a crop top or a miniskirt. Sometimes both at once. Embrace your inner “girly-girl” through pastel colors and flirty silhouettes.
- Wear pink! Experiment with different shades and tones. From rose to fuchsia, pink allows you to add a playful and youthful vibe to your look.
- Incorporate floral prints: in skirts or tops.
- Accessorize lightly. A simple chain or gold earrings will add breeziness to your outfit.
- Forget to distinguish between looking classy and little girl. Make sure to always look classy and timeless.
- Be afraid to experiment with lace and flowy fabrics
Gigi’s Take on Rachel’s Style:
The ’90s was an era of both risky and chic trends. Rachel, Phoebe, and Monica are the epitome of classic and trendy looks that continue to impact today’s fashion from the runway to the department store.